Check this page regularly to find current "calls for submission" to written and electronic publishers.
Tahoma Audubon Society and its partners Tacoma Public Library and the Pierce County Library System request submissions of nature-themed poetry from local poets for a new installation of the highly popular Poetry in the Park trails.
The Local Poets Trail will present work from six adult poets and four youth poets. The poems will be printed on 18” x 24” signs and installed in a local park (TBD) from Aug. 15-Oct. 15, 2021. Compensation for use of the poems is not available; however, we believe the promotion of the Local Poets Trail on our websites, through social media and press releases will bring attention to the talents of our local poets.
Criteria for Selection:
1. The poem has a positive, up-lifting message.
2. The poem is nature-themed.
3. The poem fits the size of the signs.
12 lines or less.
Segments of a longer poem may be used.
4. The poem demonstrates effective form.
5. Poetry is diverse in subject matter/authorship.
1. Submission deadline: March 30, 2021
2. Poems selected and poets notified: April 30, 2021
3. Selected poems reviewed by poet: May 30, 2021
4. Poems sent to printer: June 30, 2021
5. Poems installed in parks: Aug. 15-Oct. 15, 2021
Poetry in the Park was established in 2018 to connect people with nature through nature-themed poetry and to encourage appreciation for poetry in the community. Twenty-five poems were installed in four local parks the first year. Currently poems are installed in seven parks with five to nine poems in each park. Sponsors include our partners, local service groups, individual and small group donors, and many members of Tahoma Audubon Society. More information is available on the TAS website: www.tahomaaudubon.org